What is a Local School Improvement Council?
Local School Improvement Councils (LSIC) are required per W.Va. Code § 18-5A-2. These councils exist at each public school in West Virginia. Membership of the LSIC is comprised of teachers, service personnel, bus drivers, parents, business and community representatives. An election occurs annually for membership. The LSIC is directly involved with the operation of the local school in many ways. The LSIC reviews discipline data and procedures yearly and submits written recommendations to the local school board. They encourage involvement of the school community with the school operation through regular LSIC meetings and collaboration. They support local initiative for school improvement by being directly involved with the strategic planning and innovative ideas. A direct link with the local school board occurs through an annual meeting at which all school aspects inclusive of academics, athletics, discipline, school climate, facilities, needs, improvement and recommendations are presented and discussed.
The West Virginia Department of Education has developed an electronic resource for schools and communities to assist them in their efforts to provide quality school improvement through Local School Improvement Councils.
How often does the UHS LSIC meet?
The UHS LSIC typically meet four times throughout the year, once each grading period. Please see below for a list of upcoming meetings.
Current UHS LSIC Members:
- Jennifer Lyons, 2nd year of 2 year term- LSIC Chair
- Kim Greene Principal – Ex Officio Member email@example.com
- Neera Bhatia & Michelle Ritchie- PTSO Co-Presidents
- Jeff O’Neil, At large member, 1st year of 2 year term firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carrie Beatty, Faculty, 1st year of 2 year term email@example.com
- Erica Diaz, Faculty, 1st year of 2 year term firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jeannie Oiler, Faculty, 1st year of 2 year term email@example.com
- Nada Kisner, Business Partner, At Large member firstname.lastname@example.org
- Empty, Service personnel
- Empty, Bus Driver
- Mary Warden, Parent Representative
- Bonnie Snider, Parent Representative
- Sarah Gillespie, Parent Representative
- Ryan Niceler, Parent Representative
- Madison Wesolowsky, Student Body Representative
Local School Improvement Council Orientation Materials
- September 5, 2019 at 7:00 PM
- October 10th at 5:30, Monongalia County Meeting at the WV Readiness Center
- November 21, 2019 at 7:00 PM
- December- No Meeting
- January 16, 2020 at 7:00 PM
- February 20, 2020 at 7:00 PM
- March 19, 2020 at 7:00 PM
- April 16, 2020 at 7:00 PM
- September 6, 2018 @ 7:00PM
- October 16th, 5:30PM at WV National Guard Readiness Center, Morgantown, WV County Wide LSIC Meeting-Brochure
- October- No meeting due to the County Wide LSIC meeting on October 16th.
- November 15, 2018 @ 6:00PM
- December- No Meeting
- January 17, 2019 @ 6:00PM
- February 21, 2019 @ 6:00PM
- March 20, 2019 @ 6:00PM- Wednesday
- April 25, 2019 @ 6:00PM