Independent Research Rules
The following rules are designed to maintain a quiet study atmosphere. We ask for your cooperation and respect for others.
- The purpose of this class period is for study. We encourage you to use this time wisely. Use it to complete assignments for your classes, review for tests or quizzes, read a chapter in the text, write or proofread a paper, or go over class notes. You may also want to consider using some of your time to do some reading that is not required (a magazine, newspaper, or novel). Bring sufficient reading/study materials for the entire period.
- Be in your assigned seat when the tardy bell rings.
- No food, drink, personal listening recording devices, cards, sleeping, hats, cell phones, etc., will be allowed!
- You must be sure to bring all materials with you since you will not be permitted to return to your locker.
- You may go to another teacher’s room to make up a test or assignment and for extra help. You must stay in the room for the remainder of the period. However,you must get a signed pass from the teacher prior to class. Please make arrangements early so that you are not late for IR. Note that the library passes also must be obtained prior to the time this period begins. You will NOT be allowed to leave IR to get a pass. All passes will be returned to the IR teacher by the cooperating teacher. If you abuse this policy, your privileges will be suspended.
- You may sign out to go to Math/Science Lab but remember to check in and out of the lab as well as IR.
- When you have a pass to go to another location, you must go directly there. Do not make other stops on the way. Failure to comply will result in suspension of privileges.
- One person at a time will be allowed to go to the restroom at a time. Please do not abuse this privilege by taking more than 5 minutes because no one else will be allowed out until you return.
- If you are absent more than 6 times from IR, you will have to take all final exams.
- If you want to use the computer, you must have a signed copy of your computer use form and have a note form a teacher with a computer assignment. You must ask your IR teacher for permission to print.