1933 - 2008
2008 - Present
Jasper Newton Deahl
Born: April 19, 1859
Lived: Barbour County, Va. (Now West Virginia)
School's Attended: Fairmont Normal School, West Virginia University, Peabody Normal
School, University of Nashville, Harvard University, Columbia University
The first University Demonstration High School was open in September, 1925,
in the Old Tea Room on the corner of Spruce and Willey Streets. This school had
35 students and a faculty of 3 superior teachers. The teachers, Misses Sylvia
Soupart, Lucy Coplin, and May Wilt, were recruited away from Morgantown High.
By 1928, there were 202 students. With the need for larger rooms, the school
changed locations. The next location was on the fourth floor of a red brick
building on the corner of Stewart Street and University Avenue. In the new
building there was a gas station on the first floor, a garage on the second
floor and University High was located on the third and fourth floors.
In 1931, the school made a third move. It moved into the old library on the
West Virginia University Campus. The students enjoyed the use of Elizabeth
Moore Hall, Commencement Hall, and several of the other University facilities.
They stayed there until the completion of University Demonstration High School.
In September 1933, University Demonstration High School was completed. It was,
and still is located at the top of North Price Street. The estimated cost of
the building was $283,837. The construction of the school started in late 1930
at a site located in University Heights. November 18, 1930, the cornerstone for
University Demonstration High School was put in place. There were numerous
delays and problems with the construction of the school. The expected
completion date had to be extended to 1933. The building when completed was 3
stories high and could house up to 500 students.
The instruction plan at University Demonstration High School was like no
other high school plan. The curriculum was pragmatic and experimental. The
instruction was a unit which included integrated subjects. The units consisted
of long assignments, study-learning-teaching workshops, classroom library
periods, individual and group conferences, and individual study. The students
participated in planning, organizing, and controlling the school.
Teachers guided, challenged, and encouraged the students. They didn't lecture,
dictate, or use command style methods while teaching. Problems were solved as a
group or with the assistance of a teacher. There were no grades, instead a
student was evaluated on achievement of attitudes, appreciation, ideals,
skills, and knowledge. This enabled students to make a satisfactory adjustment
to the adult social, civic, educational, and economic life.
The progressive curriculum (based on the Dalton Plan) pioneered innovations in
education throughout the United States including our current model of student
council. University High School's mission was far ahead of its time in the
field of education.
Changes Through the Years
In 1972, West Virginia University turned University High School over to
Monongalia County Board of Education. The turnover was an effort to increase
funding (through Mon County) to increase the quality of educational
opportunities for the students.
There was no major construction on UHS from the completion of the main
building, in 1933, until 1972. In 1972, a small annex was placed at the end of
the building. This annex building was the home to an industrial arts
laboratory, two general classrooms, restrooms, an office, and storage areas.
In 1978, a gymnasium that was badly needed was added onto the school. It had a
seating capacity of 1,300 people, a multi purpose lobby, locker rooms, and one
general purpose classroom.
In 1991-1992, more construction was done to UHS. The first phase of
construction included a new kitchen, a multi-purpose cafeteria, and a new band
room. The second of phase construction was the new tower addition. The tower
included new home economics and art areas, two fully equipped laboratory
science rooms, a computer lab, ten general classrooms, an elevator, restrooms,
and student lockers. This addition was completed by the 1993-1994 school year.
By the end of the 1990-1991 school year, there was around 600 students enrolled
at UHS. In the fall of 1991, 121 Bruceton students enrolled at UHS. Starting
during the 1993-1994 school year, ninth graders were enrolled at UHS. In the
fall of 1993 nearly 1,300 students were enrolled. The overcrowding problem lead
to the need for temporary classrooms. This need brought six trailers to UHS.
In the 2000-2001 school year, additional rooms may be needed to provide enough
space for another increase in enrollment. Solutions to this overcrowding
problem are currently being explored.
In the fall of 2003 Monongalia County citizens passed a bond which included the
construction of a new University High school to be located off of Bakers Ridge
Mylan Pharmaceuticals Stadium opened in September of 2008.
On Wednesday, November 19, 2008 the old school on Price Street welcomed
students for the last time. Students started school at the new location on
December 3, 2008.
About the School
Originally: "Red Leopards" (1931)
Changed to "Hilltoppers" in late 1930's
Changed to "Hilltopper Hawks" in 1973
Became "Hawks" in 1974 (According to Year Book Info)
Originally: Crimson Red, White, and Old Gold
Old Gold changed to Yellow Gold in late 1930's
Current Red - Scarlet
Titled: "Fight U High"
Written by Sidney Lee (UHS - class of 1939)
Written in 1942 (in a fox hole during WWII)
State Champions: Girls' Soccer in 2009
State Champions: Girls' Cross Country (2007 and 2008)
State Champions: Boys' Cross Country (2006)
State Champions: Wrestling (1956)
State Runner Ups: Wrestling (1955) Football (1994)
Individual State Champions:
Wrestling - Kyle Turnbull....2004....119 pound weight class
Wrestling - David Campbell....2004....152 pound weight class
Undefeated Football Seasons: 1946-47, 1947-48, 1999-2000
Longest Football Winning Streak: 19 (1998-2000)
Undefeated Girls Basketball Season: 1974-75
Outstanding Girls Basketball Seasons:
2004 (18-7) State Tournament
A History of University Demonstration High School written by John
Web Page by Jill Neer and Felicia Myers